Friday, December 4, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
it will be pack with the followings:
- freshwater prawn news
- business links
- community portal
- list and contact of farmers, hatcheries, and suppliers
- links to related blogs, website, government bodies
- seminars update and trainings for newbee
- how to fish the udang galah, in pond and river (as suggested)
- delicious recipes (as suggested)
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
- duration of stocks - 4 month 3 weeks
- size average - 60gm
- total weight - 100kg @ 15% mortality
- holding tanks should be wide and high supply of Dissolve Oxigen
- one day harvesting operations, not 2 preventing the prawn from molting
- bed of pond should be treated so harder surfaces at bottom
- plan and prepare earlier
- outlet pipe should be 2 or more
- 4 people to make sure smooth harvest
- nylon nets is more suitable
- grading the prawn to sizes when still in nets
- do not feed your stock 2 days prior harvest
Wow .. hope those who interested in farming the udang galah should experience the joy soonest, catch the big blue claw with your own hand and palms! lots of scrath marks on my palm cause by their claw and knife like horn.
Thank you God.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Thursday, July 30, 2009
- Always aware of your pond health eg. pH, alkalinity, salinity, dissolved oxigen...
- Treat the pond longer before stock for better survival rate of your PL
- Treat the ponds with antivirus and antibacteria
- Make sure the water source is clean and maintain the cleanliness and hygiene throughout your activities
- Prepare for the worst
- Treat the water periodically and systematically
- Learn from the experts and do not shy to ask any question
- Learn and identify your enemy
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Speaker & Topics:
- Dr. Pornlerd Chanratchakool- Shrimp Pond Management How to Maintain Good Water and Soil
- Dr.Jirasak Tangtrongpiros- Shrimp Disease How We Can Prevent This?
- Tavatchai Chidchomsrichantra-The Dream Team for Shrimp Pond & Disease Management
- Seminar #1
- Date: 20th July 2009
- Seminar Location: Sg. Petani ,Kedah
- Venue: Emerald Puteri Hotel, Sg. Petani
- Time:9.00 am - 12.00pm (Registration opens at 8.30 am)
- Seminar #2
- Date: 22nd July 2009
- Seminar Location: Setiawan, Perak
- Venue: Orient Star Hotel, Lumut, Perak
- Time: 9.00-12.00pm (Registration opens at 8.30 am)
- Seminar # 3
- Date: 24th July 2009
- Seminar Location: Johor Bahru, Johor
- Venue: Ponderosa Golf & Country Club, Johor Bahru
- Time: 9.00 am-12.00 pm (Registration opens at 8.30 am)
- To RSVP and for more info, please contact :-
- Sugania Vijayan 012-3276737
- Erin Tan 0173388816
- Kok Onn 0162125160
- Chiow Yen 012-3655308
Monday, June 22, 2009
By the way, here some tips especially for the wannabe freshwater prawn grower :
- Pond size - medium 50m x 50m or 30m x 60m, easier for harvesting
- dept - water depth 2-4ft
- bund - please allow 2-4ft above the water level
- bund sides - 25 to 45 degree angle, easier when harvesting and cleaning
- water outlet - 8 inch diameter UPVC pipes at the lowest point
- water inlet - 6 inch diameter UPVC pipes with some filters
- Main water channel/drain must provide enough volume for rainy season
- Allow 5-10 ft wide of common shared bunds - when the pond is side by side - for failsafe design and easy for you to manuver around your ponds
- lastly, please think of how you can channel your inlet water, either using pumps or gravity flow using dam/(empangan).
I might change some of my udang galah business plan due to time factors and other business opportunity coming my way..but I will proceed with my existing ventures and will always write here in my blog..
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
main source of venture capital would be from:
- own savings
- bank loans
- selling your properties
please start small and record everything you spent/earn from the business by doing all your transaction by cheque, let the records show good income and profits/surplus, then, go apply for micro credit scheme!.
please check out my earlier post on locations and major points to consider when you decided to start up a freshwater prawn grow out business ..
Monday, May 18, 2009
i am very grateful to God...the land got great water source, a bit far but still have a good access (potholes also got lah) no electricity but very near to last TNB pole...10 minutes to highway and 20 minutes to the nearest town...last 2 weeks i was at the land doing some clearing of scrubs and making good of the access....
what more to say, we will be having 8 of 50m x 50m freshwater prawn ponds, and hopefully we will first harvest lots of big fat prawn/shrimp by early next year....wish me luck
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
1. near to your most demanding customer/market
2. clean clear sustainable water source
4. access road
5. type of soil
6. surroundings community
7. lease or buy?
i would elaborate more on each points soonest...think about you are changing to a new job place, at a new location...its somehow just a common sense..
here the link to the major topics that we are going to discuss of this mini series
Monday, April 27, 2009
Hanya 2 jam dah dapat 13 ekor berat hampir 1 kg, power tu.. kepada tuan2 yang biasa memancing udang galah di sungai, kini tak risau kalau tak dapat sewa bot, cuaca tak baik ke, air sejuk ke, sila lah anda datang dan anda pasti dapat udang galah untuk dibawa pulang, sila klik link trueaqua ini
Thursday, April 16, 2009
aquaculture and freshwater prawns culture must act and adapt to this new trends now...my udang galah pond only used organic product that are safe for our stomach
i met a visionary organic fertiliser bumiputra manufacturer that produce high quality product matching the renown import brands in the market, backed by local university research paper (UTM), selling it cheaper so the local farmers can benefits from the bull market trends..I have used few product to treat my pond's water quality and it works brilliantly...i recommending this product to all freshwater prawn grower and i will promote these products here at my blog... the brand is MAS HITAM and it proves to benefit my farming technique..
will post a banner here soon with some details and price...these organic fertiliser not only suitable for aquaculture but could easily increase the production of palm oil trees, fertigation and vegetables...
Thursday, April 9, 2009
- location of farm
- prawn larvae supply
- water quality
- farm management
- market your freshwater prawn
- commercial factors / cash inflow outflow
- long term GOAL of business
Sunday, April 5, 2009
we call our friend at trueaqua and searching from others for how to remove or kill those fish, finally we agreed to try the tea seed powder, but the outcome are not very good ( used exactly as instructed by the manufacturer ).
the tea seed was not suppose to have effect to the prawn, instead they should bring damaged to the fish gills and make them suffocate lah, but our findings are : our bigger prawn died! almost 200 of them..sigh
so please do not use the tea seed powder when you still culturing / ternak the udang galah inside the pond, i think we should use it before releasing the baby freshwater prawn, if you prefer using organic products.
will update pictures soon
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
the guides will be base on the following data contributor:
- present grower/farmer
- online published reports
- department of fisheries
- my own experience
- related blogs
- government websites
- private aquaculture consultants
- supplier of related products
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
here some good news from today newspaper for our fellow freshwater prawn shrimp grower...
Wednesday March 18, 2009, The Star
Frozen seafood products cleared for export to EUKUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian frozen seafood products have been cleared for export to the EU, said Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.
The EU’s Food and Veterinary Office (FVO) has approved frozen seafood products from five Malaysian companies and four farms after a visit which ended on March 12.
The FVO will next check on live sea catches.
The decision comes some 10 months after the Government suspended exports of seafood products to the EU, which had threatened a total ban after random checks on nine Malaysian companies exporting fishery products revealed poor health standards and practices.
“I am happy the FVO has cleared all the doubts and has readmitted Malaysia into the EU import list,” Liow told a press conference at Wisma MCA yesterday.
Liow said the approval process would normally take six weeks, but his ministry would expedite the process.
“We will get it done as soon as possible,” he said.
It is learnt that the nine companies accounted for about RM100mil worth of exports to the EU annually.
The whole frozen seafood industry to the EU, comprising some 15 exporters, is believed to be worth about RM600mil annually.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Data should include
- contact person
- contact no
- size of farm
- how many ponds
- production capacity
- no. of workers
- which hatchery supply their PL
please help me making this database workable and accurate by email me your details, or details of any farmers near you
Monday, March 2, 2009
original ideas: culture baby freshwater prawn udang galah inside simple tanks either poly, concrete or fibre material.
duration: 1 month
setting up: 2 nos x 100 gallon poly tank, 3 nos bubble blower, 2 nos simple pumps and change water every 3 days, 8 nos of pipe shelter using green nets
- high content of sludge building up at the bottom of the tanks
- high ammonia content at tank bottom
- simple pump do not have enough suction power to filter the sludge
- 100 gallon of water is not sufficient to cater large numbers of freshwater prawn udang galah
- larger tank with efficient suction power but gentle enough for the baby prawn
- Water should be change at least 20% every 2 days
- bio filter system should be consider as used in koi pond
- bottom of tanks should be able or have drain outlet
- high pressure blower with aero-tube should be use
- tank should be place higher to make draining bottom sludge more easily
- department of fisheries should have the technology as used in the hatchery complex
pro & cons:
- saving valuable lands and could monitor growth of baby freshwater prawn
- reduce risk of natural predator
- to increase survival rates up to 90%
- high cost on start-up and electricity
- baby-sit the whole time
please comment if my findings was not accurate....
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
pond using the
the surface of the water.
1) Both Aero-Tube™ Air Lift and Paddle wheel were able to circulate the water at similar rate.
i am going to investing a modified air-lift type using 1HP blower that will cost some fortune but it is worth a try if can resulting long term saving to my business
Saturday, February 21, 2009
our findings, remains of food starter has become acidic, that increasing ammonia levels and the bottom of the tank was full of them, we have clean the tank and now they live happily ever after.....
1. only small amount of food given
2. we monitor the eating rate
3. check regularly on the tank bottom surplus
3. change the water 2 times a week
our pond still need at least 1 week to full, the paddle wheel is here, the fencing using fish nets is 40% done, what we need now is a rain of 1 hour and we can release the baby udang galah to the pond
we also have segregate the pond into two section which we can bring in new baby 'P' for the next batch, hopefully by early april and can be harvest during puasa
Aero tube - I have got many updates from the aero-tube supplier, Mr Francis and will post the review soon, they also doing some testing in our friend trueaqua ponds in ulu bendul
New location - i manage to find a suitable lands for expansion, 2.2ac and got permanent water source, now doing some discussion with the bank and the owner...update..bank cannot help startup enterprise like us! So plan B, get a rented land and building the business foundation first....
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Please visit the aerotube manufacturer web site at
aero-tube.com ,distributor planetasia
and a youtube video of aerotube in china
Sunday, February 15, 2009
yesterday we went to search and try to deal few strategic locations for our future udang galah expansion plan, 3 acres of swampy and have natural water source..i really love a location with natural clear water stream, got few durians and other fruit trees... but on my way to those lands, i saw lots of small agri projects eg. red chillies, bananas, serai and even tilapia and goats being develop and maintain by my fellow bumiputra, i am really touched by the scenery and hope they all succeed and thrive forward..
I will upload few pictures taken from the land that I hope it will be reasonably price and i can buy it immediately...and i can start and target start supplying the first batch of udang galah by next aidilfitri....
Update : We failed to get the 2 acres land as the owner have sold it...but i will have a visit soon to a new location nearby...have faith insyaAllah
Friday, February 13, 2009
Udang galah or freshwater prawn should be rear/farm systematically and in large community areas... hopefully I can assist/encourage my community of young and old to venture into farming freshwater prawn lah....
Enough said... I always think this is a good business either supply LIVE to pay fishing ponds or supply frozen to the wet market... I need to add few more ponds so I can supply the freshwater prawn constantly and steady stream for at least 100kg to 200kg per week...my business plan will be discuss later lah ya....
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Musim kemarau telah melanda, so kolam utama tak dapat dipenuhi air on-time, kami pun fikir alternatif terbaik ialah kolam asuhan sementara.
Alhamdulilah, anak udang sihat dan asyik running around... happy dan lega...
Tugas utama sekarang ialah memenuhkan air ke kolam utama dan menyiapkan pagar (fencing) untuk mengelakkan pemangsa masuk....